A Choir is a company of singers, especially an organized group employed in church service. any group of musicians or musical instruments; a musical company, or band, or a division of one: string choir.
Choirs are also categorized by the institutions in which they operate:
- Church (including cathedral) choirs.
- Chorale (Kantorei), dedicated to mostly sacred Christian music.
- Collegiate and university choir.
- Community choir (of children or adults)
- Professional choir, either independent (e.g. Anúna, The Sixteen) or state-supported (e.g., BBC Singers, National Chamber Choir of Ireland, Canadian …
- School choirs.
- Signing choir using sign language rather than voices.
- Integrated signing and singing choir, using both sign language and voices and led by both a signductor and a musical director.